Cream of Romanesco Soup
- 1 large head of romanesco (or cauliflower)
- 1 tablespoon ghee or coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 3 cups of water
- 2 teaspoons each of sea salt and black pepper
- ½ can of coconut milk
- Optional: black or white truffle oil
- Wash and core the romanesco, then coarsely chop.
- In a large pot, place a steamer and a few inches of water at the base of the pan. Place the romanesco pieces in the steamer. Heat the pot over medium-high, cover and let steam for 10 minutes. Place the steamed romanesco in a strainer and set aside.
- In a soup pot, heat the oil over medium-heat and add the onion and shallots. Stir and sauté until the shallots become translucent – about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, stir and sauté until the garlic is golden brown.
- Add the water, the salt and pepper and romanesco to the soup pot and stir. Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Using a handheld blender, puree the soup until it becomes thick and creamy. Add the coconut milk and remove from heat. Place soup in serving bowls and drizzle with a splash of truffle oil.