Creamy Spinach Soup
The best tasting spinach has vibrant bright green leaves with crisp stems. This spinach also has the highest nutritional value. Purchase organic wherever possible. Avoid wilted leaves that have yellow discoloring, bruising, or a slimy coating. This spinach has passed its prime and should not be consumed.
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cups raw organic fresh spinach
- 1 cup organic zucchini (about 1 zucchini)
- 1/4 cup scallions/green onions – (about 6)
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley (a handful)
- 1/4 cup celery (1 large stalk)
- 4 cups strong basic poultry stock
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup raw cashews
- dash of fresh lemon juice to taste
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Heat a saucepan to medium-high with the coconut oil. Once the oil melts, add sauté onions and scallions with a pinch of sea salt, stir and sauté until the onions become translucent.
- Add in the garlic and reduce heat to medium. Stir to prevent burning until the garlic turns a light golden brown.
- Add in spinach, celery, zucchini and parsley and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the stock, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes until the veggies are cooked through.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- In a blender and then crush up the cashews and carefully add a ladle at a time the soup. After each ladle is added, blend the soup and cashews until you have a creamy puree. Return the soup to the stockpot and reheat before serving.
- Serve sprinkled with fresh parsley.