Carrot & Ginger Soup
- 6 to 8 medium to large carrots (about 1.5 pounds), peeled chopped into chunky cubes
- 6 cups basic poultry stock
- 1 piece ginger, an inch long, peeled, and coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, whole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon each sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Divide the carrots in half. Place one half of the carrots on a baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle lightly with olive oil. Toss to combine. Place carrots in oven and roast for about 20 minutes, checking the pan every so often and rotating to cook slices evenly.
- Remove from oven when soft, slightly brown and caramelized.
- Meanwhile, bring the stock to a boil in a large saucepan with the ginger, onion and garlic. Bring down to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes or so until the onions are soft. Add the remaining half of the carrots and simmer for another 5 minutes until the carrots are just slightly soft but not cooked through. Transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender.
- Add the roasted carrots to the food processor or blender with the par-boiled carrots. Blend until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve with a dollop or plain Greek yogurt or a tablespoon of coconut cream.