Cranberry Wild Rice
Salad Serves: 6
- ¾ cup wild rice
- ½ cup hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup dried, honey sweetened cranberries
- 1 small fennel bulb, cut into thin slices
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 crisp apple
- 1 large orange, juiced
- 1 tablespoon fresh fennel fronds
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Rinse the rice and drain water. Add 4 cups of fresh water and rice to a sauce pan, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and cook covered at a simmer until the grains are swollen and tender, but chewy – 35 minutes. Drain the rice, rinse with cool water and set aside.
- In a small bowl coat the cranberries in the orange juice and let sit.
- In a large serving bowl, whisk together to lemon juice, oil, balsamic vinegar and fresh herbs. Add in the fennel, apple, green onion, rice, hazelnuts, cranberry and soaking juices. Toss together and season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.