Three Beans with Chard & Quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups (or small can) of cooked great northern beans
- 1 1/2 cups (or small can) of cooked kidney beans
- 1 1/2 cups (or small can) of cooked black-eyed peas
- 1 bunch organic rainbow chard rinsed and chopped (including some of the stems – they add color and texture)
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- healthy handful of parsley, chopped
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- ¼ cup water
- ½ lemon juiced
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a strainer add your beans, rinse, then strain until liquid is gone.
2.Place a large frying pan over medium high heat. Add a drizzle of olive oil (about a tablespoon) and the onion. Sauté until onion translucent then add the minced garlic. Cook for about 30 seconds until fragrant. Add the chard and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring throughout, until wilted. Drizzle with some of the lemon juice to keep from browning and set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, add the strained beans and heat over medium heat and stir for about 1 minute. Add the quinoa, the remaining lemon juice and water to the beans and stir untl the mixture heats up.
- Add all the beans to a large serving bowl. Add the chard and the herbs. Mix to combine and season with salt & pepper to taste.