Wild Mushroom Stock (vegetarian)
This is a full flavored and rich mushroom stock that is perfect to use in soups, pilafs and it makes for an excellent base in sauces. Feel free to vary the mushrooms, for different tastes. Feel free to mix or match your wild mushroom mix.
Makes: 4-6 cups
- 1 ounce dried wild mushrooms (porcini, morel, chanterelle and/or shitake)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups sliced crimini mushrooms
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 3 celery sticks coarsely chopped
- 1 leek, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch of fresh herbs
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 9 cups water
|The BasicsMirepoix – French term for mixture of carrots, onion and celery. It is used as the base for most traditionally prepared soup recipes|
Bouquet garni – French term for a bundle of herbs; for this dense-flavored stock try an herb combination including thyme, sage, tarragon and parsley
- In a ceramic or glass bowl, cover the dried mushrooms with 1 cup hot water and set them aside.
- In a large stock or soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat and add the mirepoix and fresh crimini mushrooms. Cook stirring frequently until the onions become translucent –about 5 minutes.
- Add the dried mushrooms and their soaking liquid along with the 9 cups of water and bouquet garni, bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat for 45 minutes covered.
- Using a strainer, strain the stock separating the solids form the liquid. Return the liquid to the soup stock and heat over a low boil at medium-high for 15 more minutes to increase the flavor and reduce the stock.