Tom Kha Gai Soup
Thai Coconut Chicken Soup
- 1 pound of natural-free range chicken breast
- ½ sweet onion diced
- ½ red bell pepper diced
The BasicsFish sauce, galangal root, kefir lime leaves and lemongrass can be found in any Asian food market. Kefir lime leaves and lemongrass can be replaced by using the juice from 1 lime.
1-2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried galangal root
- 6 kefir lime leaves
- 2 stalks finely chopped lemongrass*
- 1- 16 oz can coconut milk
- 2 cups basic poultry stock (see recipe on [PAGE])
- 1 cup shitake mushrooms
- 1 medium napa cabbage sliced into 2 inch pieces
- 1 bunch of basil
*Note: Add the leftover coconut sauce to your soup stock from Poached Lemongrass & Coconut Salmon [PAGE] in replace of the lemon grass.
- In a large stock pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Combine the diced onions and peppers and sauté until the onions turn translucent.
- Add the fish sauce, galangal root, kefir lime leaves, and lemongrass and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the chicken. Sautee chicken until the outer skin turns a light golden brown – about 7 minutes.
- Add the shitake mushrooms and cabbage and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and chicken stock and simmer on medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add the basil and serve.