Steamed Yams with Black Beans, and Greens
- 4 small yams
- ½ onion thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1-16 ounce can of rinsed organic black beans
- 1 bunch of mixed winter greens (kale, swiss chard, beet greens, mustard greens, or spinach)
- Optional: for extra protein, add 1 pound of crumbled organic sprouted tofu or ground buffalo
- 1 cup of Rosina’s Salsa [PAGE]
- Scrub yams and cut out any rough spots. Leave whole or cut into large chunks. Place them on a vegetable steamer over boiling water; cover and steam for about 25 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Heat a large sauté pan or wok over medium-high heat with coconut oil. Reduce heat to medium and add onions. Stiring, sauté onions until they turn translucent. If using tofu or ground buffalo, add at this time and stir and crumble until the tofu is heated or the buffalo is cooked through – 10 minutes.
- Add in your winter greens, stir and cover for 5 minutes.
- Add in the black beans and stir until beans are heated.
- If using whole yams, cut in half being cautious of steam, plate and dish greens and beans on top of yam halves. If using large chunks of yam add to the greens and beans then plate.
- Serve with Rosina’s Salsa.