Spinach & Yogurt Dip
This is a variation on the classic onion dip that emphasizes dark leafy greens and Greek yogurt for increased fiber and protein. The walnuts add a nice texture and additional healthy oils. If preparing this Paleo dip for a party, you can make this the day before and garnish with walnuts and olive oil right before serving.
- 3 – 6 ounce bags of fresh organic baby spinach
- 2 cloves garlic, minced and divided into two separate batches.
- ½ onion diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ cups plain Greek yoghurt, (pour out any liquid sitting on top)
- 1 pinch each of sea salt and black pepper
- 1 handful crushed walnuts
- your best olive oil for garnishing
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Blanch your baby spinach, by adding to the pot of boiling water for 30 seconds – the aim is to preserve the color and reduce the size of the spinach.
- Drain well, removing any excess liquid. Once the spinach has cooled, chop finely and set aside.
- In a medium sized sauté pan over medium-high heat, sauté the diced onion in olive oil stirring to prevent burning. Add 1 clove of garlic, and sauté for 2 more minutes, until the garlic turns golden.
- Add the drained baby spinach to the pan and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir for a few minutes.
- Remove from stove, allow to cool, and then squeeze out any excess liquid.
- In a bowl, add yoghurt, the remaining clove of minced garlic, baby spinach and stir gently. Add another pinch of salt to taste.
- Transfer to your serving bowl and dust with crushed walnuts and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Serve with alongside your favorite veggie tray and/or Baked Yam Wedges.