Red Cabbage & Apple Slaw
This powerful high-powered salad has cholesterol lowering effects and is an excellent source of vitamin C – a sweet and tangy slaw that adds to the flavors of your game-day fare. This salad works great as a snack and is a lovely pairing alongside any protein-rich dish.
For the Slaw:
- 1 small head of red cabbage
- 2 tart a apples, such as Granny Smith or Pink Lady, peeled and cut into ¼ inch matchsticks
- 2 carrots, rinsed, peels and cut into ¼ inch matchsticks (may use a mandolin slicer)
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- ½ bunch of cilantro leaves
For the Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 pinches each of sea salt and black pepper
- Start by first making the dressing in a mason jar or small bowl. Start by adding the oil then whisk in the honey, vinegar, lime juice, and the salt & pepper. Set aside
- For the salad: Shred the cabbage into fine strips using a butchers knife or mandolin – should measure out to about 3 cups. Add into a large serving bowl along with the prepared carrot & apple matchsticks and green onions.
- Finely shop the cilantro leaves and mix in with the salad. Coat with dressing, mix and serve or chill covered.