Lentil Salad with Roasted Red Peppers and Feta cheese
- 1 ½ cups French lentils
- 3 cups water
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks (use a mandolin or purchase pre-cut
- ½ small red onion, finely diced
- 8 wide strips of Roasted Red Bell Peppers* [PAGE], cut into thin slices
- 3 organic Roma tomatoes, rinsed and diced
- 1 teaspoon each sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch of fresh parsley, destemmed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 shallot, minced
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
* Note: you may also use whole packed, canned roasted red bell peppers
- Rinse the lentils, and in a saucepan, cover with water and bring them to a boil. Simmer them until they are cooked – about 20-25 minutes. They should be tender, just a little firm, and still hold their shape.
- Let the lentils cool while the vegetables are prepped. Add the vegetables into a large serving bowl and add the cooled lentils.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the olive oil, vinegar, lemon, paprika, cayenne and shallot and whisk together.
- Pour the dressing over the lentil and vegetable mixture and mix evenly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Chill for a few hours covered and right before serving, add in crumbled feta cheese. Keeps refrigerated 4-5 days.