Italian Sausage Soup
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons crushed garlic cloves
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Look for a sausage that is nitrate free and at least 70% meat. Chicken or turkey sausages are a leaner option available in most supermarkets. To help reduce the sodium content in the soup, apple cider vinegar is used to enhance the soups flavor.
1 teaspoon each of salt & pepper
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 pound natural ground Italian sausage
- 4 cups basic poultry stock (see recipe on [PAGE])
- 1-16 oz can crushed unsalted tomatoes
- 2 cups 1-inch cubes of butternut squash
- 1-bunch of kale, torn into large pieces
- In a large stock pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Combine the chopped onions, red bell peppers and carrots. Sauté until the onions turn translucent.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 2 minutes, being mindful to avoid burning the garlic. Add the cayenne pepper, salt & pepper and apple cider vinegar and mix together.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the ground sausage and sauté until the meat begins to cook through – about 10 minutes.
- Add the stock, crushed tomatoes, butternut squash and kale. Stir everything together, then cover the pot and reduce the heat to medium-low and let the soup simmer for 25 minutes.
- Try serving with cashew cream [PAGE] or 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt.