Curried Lentil Patties with South of the Boarder Avocado-Mango Salsa
For the Patties:
- 1 ½ cups green or red lentils
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 tsp sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 cup packed cilantro
- 1/2 small red onion, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, very finely diced
- 1 large carrot, very finely chopped or shredded
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup oat bran or oat flour, gluten-free if desired
- ½ tablespoon ghee or coconut oil
- 6 organic, rinsed & dried lettuce leaves such as: bibb, red or green leaf, or butter lettuce
For the Salsa:
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and diced medium
- 1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted, and diced medium
- 1 small red onion, diced small
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- For the salsa: Mix everything together in a glass container. Cover and chill.
- For the lentil patties: Place a medium saucepan over medium high heat, add lentils and water; bring water to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to low and simmer lentils for about 10-15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and lentils are very soft and a bit mushy. Drain any excess water and set aside.
- Place the cooked lentils, curry powder, garlic, ginger, cilantro and sea salt in a food processor or blender and blend until the lentils are very smooth.
- Transfer mixture into large bowl. Stir in red peppers, onion and carrot. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Add the beaten eggs and stir in. Add in oat bran a little at a time, and work into mixture with your hands. You want to be able to form patties, but you don’t want too much oat bran, or the burgers will fall apart. So use as much as you feel necessary. Divide into 6 equal portions and shape into thick patties with your hands.
- Heat a medium skillet or caste iron pan over medium high heat; add in a 1/2 tablespoon of ghee or coconut oil. Place a few burgers in at a time and cook for a few minutes on each side, or until golden brown and crisp. Repeat with remaining patties and continue to add oil as needed.
- Place patties in lettuce leaves and top with Avocado-Mango Salsa and broccoli sprouts.